Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Funky Junk Approved: Trish's Garage

Trish's wall of signature everyone who
comes in gets to sign it!
I don't know who Trish is... but if she is anything like the curator for her garage, Ebony Rutherford, Trish is everything.

I met Ebony at the Naturally Fly Hair meet up earlier this month. She is a slender, tall, woman whose hair will catch your eye, and smile will make you feel better about all things. She is funny, quick with it, and stylish. Simply put she doesn't miss a beat and neither does her store.  She was admiring the Funky Junk and Juju merchandise, but failed to mention that she has a bright yellow motor city themed bodega herself located in the heart of Dan Gilbert land, on Woodward, next door to the Hudson Cafe.

Trish's Garage is not a thrift store, per se. It is an Ebony Rutherford store. And Ebony can be thrifty, but I am sure that she also has rent to pay. So the garage has a bit of everything, for everybody at all price points. While I was there I picked up two pair of super cute earrings at $5.00 each. I am so excited. 

As if it is not enough being everything, Ebony is a seamstress. One of the few true seamstresses. Her staple design is the Detroit "D" Peplum Tee. They are pricier than what I would spend on a shirt at $38.00 but when you consider that they are hand made here in Detroit, by a professional, and you will not find anything like it anywhere it is an investment I can make. They come in many different colors sizes. For the large and small chested.  You can see her full line here at her online store.  Since each shirt is uniquely made, if you are in the Detroit area I suggest that you go and try one on, if she doesn't have one for you she will make one. She is that good. I am waiting to buy mine in hot pink.
$5.00 at the Garage

Now remember thrifty ones, this  isn't a thrift store, BUT that doesn't mean that she doesn't have some thrifty finds. She has two suitcases of some preloved items which are $10.00, which she has affectionately dubbed "Junk in the Trunk" In addition, all of her earrings (not the one's from other shops) are $5.00. While you are in there I suggest you leave you email address, as you could receive an email with a coupon. I did! Thriftulous.

She is also running a sale with Nora's Vintage Loft, which is located off Broadway downtown in the shadow of the Opera House parking lot. (Next door to an amazing sandwich place called Steve's) So if you are into the vintage look her prices on clothes are about the same ad Ebony's in the $20-$50 price point. 
The peplum shirt collection

Ebony is a textbook example of someone doing what they love to make money. While I was checking out she told me "everything in this store is a part of me, so it is hard to part with, but I hope that you enjoy them." What a honorable and honest thing for a storekeeper to say! You can see her happiness everywhere around her from the yellow paint on her walls to the brightness in her smile. You definitely want tot count your coins and head to Trish's Garage. I hope to see you there.




Disclaimer: These thoughts are my own, and based on my experience at the store. I did not receive any form a of payment to write this review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment