Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Funky Junk travels: NYC Thrifting

I know that I haven't been writing as of late but that is because I have been out and about. I spent five days in NYC visiting old childhood friends and I took some money with me because I knew I was going to have to shop.

It is a hard job...but it is mine.

So the first place I go when I go to any city is GOOGLE. I type in "New York City Thrift Shop" and I receive a million hits. Buffalo Exchange, Beacon's Closet, Housing Works, Goodwill, and more. I start mapping them out. Which one is closest to where I am staying, or by the subway line and simple enough to get to. I got it, I am going to have to spend a day in Brooklyn. Good.

The entire experience left me tasting pennies. Let me tell you why:

  1. "Detroit Thrift" does not translate into New Yorkers lingo: I am not sure why but MY definition of thrift is a Theory jacket for 2.99 from Salvation Army. Beacon's Closet had something similar for 16.95. That is a fair price comparatively but it is just
    not my idea of a thrifted find. Apparently I was the one in the wrong because I kept picking things up looking at the price, scowling, and putting that shit down. But the stores were buzzing with "thrifters" who were so excited for the items they were acquiring. I was not amused.
  2. Vintage there looks like it: I think there is a combination os subway nastiness and constant contact with other people which make the clothes there show their age. At Beacon's Closet, a store which is similar in premise to a Regeneration of Royal Oak, I found some vintage dresses but one was beading up, another's zipper was coming a part from the dress,  and another had a pit stains all for about $19.95. Shameful.
  3. They know how to market: So HousingWorks in Brooklyn has a warehouse full of giant bins. They call themselves the "Fill-a-bag" HousingWorks. You buy a regular grocery bag for $25 and fill it with whatever you fancy. But you have to dig through the bins in this warehouse. Unlike the bins at the $1 Salvation Army on Michigan none of this is sorted. There are women's children's and mens clothes all jumbled up and you get to go through it. Sorry it is not worth it, unless you get there stupid early when the bag is $5. Now that is a deal. 
  4. New Yorkers are Skinny: I am a size 16 and most of the time I had difficulty finding my size. I have never had that problem in the midwest. Most people in New York are less than a size 10 from my observation. I mean, what size would you be if you had to run everywhere all the time. 
I said all this to say Thrifters, don't thrift in NYC it is not worth it. But you should shop! Let me tell you what I learned:

  1. In NYC H&M is like Rainbow: That shit is everywhere, and the quality is decent. I saw more H&M's than bathrooms. But that is a good thing because I love H&M. Since there are so many prices drop drastically I got a long sheer kimono for $1.50, yellow skater dress for $5, and a pair of pleated shorts for $5. So if you can't find anything anywhere you will find something at H&M.
  2. Find the sample sale, find your life: I attended the Fashion to Figure Sample Sale and it
    This is just a portion of the items I got
    from the Fashion 2 Figure Sample Sale. 
    really changed my outlook on shopping in NYC. Sample Sales are when the businesses (not the stores) sell there left over or "sample" items that they may have been holding onto for far too long. These are usually located in the Garment District which is just south of Midtown. They don't care about the stuff they just want it gone. All of their jewelry was $1 and $2. Separates were $5, and dresses were $10. Sample sales aren't always advertised well, this one I found by fluke from a friend of mine. I saw some signs for other "Sample Sales" but they were just cheaply made clothing at cheap prices. Fashion 2 Figure was the real deal.  The sizes were also on the small end, what is known as "sample sale sizes."
  3. Use coupons, shop off season, shop hard. With thrift stores who have obnoxious prices you can find cheap clothes in NYC in department stores. Don't be intimidated by Macy's 8 floors of fun. Hunt them. My friend found Keds for $20, new which is well worth it. And remember there is no sales tax on items under $110 on retail in NYC, so the final cost is $20. While waiting in line I always do a quick google search for "Store name + in store coupon" and a similar one in my email. 
Don't let me discourage you from traveling to NYC but I want you to know when it comes to thrifting, there is no place like home. Detroit over everybody! 

If you have any tips and tricks about shopping in NYC be sure to share in the comments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment